To view the collection times in your area please use the above RecycleCoach App or alternatively download and print the following calendar: Garbage Collection Calendar 2018-2019.pdf (200KB)
Council's contractor can only empty wheelie bins issued by West Tamar Council and identified with Council's logo. Each property has been issued with a 140L waste bin (green or red lid) and a 140L recycling bin (yellow lid). It should remain at the property on change of ownership. Each bin is marked with a unique identifying serial number, which is recorded by Council.
Placement of bins
When placing a wheelie bin out for collection, please make sure that:
- bins are placed out for collection the night prior to collection
- the bin is placed in full view of the road
- the wheels are facing away from the road
- it is on level ground and at lest 0.5 metre away from any other wheelie bin
- the wheelie bin is away from trees, power poles and any obstructions that would prevent the mechanical arm being able to grab the bin
- the lid is fully shut on the bin
- there are no items placed on top of the lid.
Items which CAN be placed in the RECYCLING bin:
- Cardboard & Office Paper - Flatten boxes and place in bin, shredded paper not permitted. DO NOT SECURE IN PLASTIC BAGS
- Newspaper & Magazines - Place in bin loose. DO NOT SECURE IN PLASTIC BAGS
- Milk & Juice Cartons - Wash & flatten. Place cartons inside each other to make a brick.
- Glass Bottles & Jars - Rinse & remove all caps and lids. Plastic lids go into the rubbish bin and steel lids can go into the recycling bin separately. NO window glass, oven proof glass or ceramics are permitted in the recycling bin.
- PET Bottles - Clear & coloured plastic bottles with rocket bottom. Rinse, squash and remove all lids and place into rubbish bin.
- HDPE - All milk & cream clear or opaque containers with rocket bottom. Rinse, squash and remove all lids.
- PVC - Clear or opaque food containers. Rinse, squash and remove all lids. PVC pipes are unable to be recycled through the kerbside bin.
- LDPE - Plastics and containers for eg. squeeze bottles and garbage bins. Ensure items are cleaned well.
- PP - Plastics and containers such as plastic hinged lunch boxes.
- Aluminium & Steel Cans - Food & drink cans including aerosol cans. All food cans to be washed to clean off food residues. Remove lid on aerosol cans and discard. Steel can lids can be placed inside and can crushed to prevent injury to yourself or the contractor.
Please do not put any of the above items in plastic bags, leave them loose.
THESE ITEMS ARE NOT RECYCLABLE:
- Meat trays and plastic bags.
- Chemical containers.
Items that should NOT be placed in a WASTE bin include:
- hot ashes
- unwrapped vacuum cleaner dust
- paints and solvents
- timber and building materials
- recyclable materials
Council's will generally replace bins when a person has genuinely lost a bin or had it stolen or damaged. The property owner may be required to produce a declaration regarding the loss of the bin. The bins should only be used for garbage collection and the collection of recyclables and are not issued for use as general household storage containers. To order a replacement bin, please contact Council on 6323 9300.
Annual Special Rubbish Collection
West Tamar Council runs an annual kerbside collection of items too large for the normal kerbside collection service. This collection is normally held during November each year and residents need to register for this service each year. In September Council will commence advertising the special collection in the Examiner Newspaper, the Beacon Newsletter and through social media.
Examples of items that can be collected include:
• Smaller electrical appliances including televisions, microwaves and desktop computers.
• Cardboard, broken furniture, old garden stakes and short lengths of timber. (Max 1.5 metres)
• Empty paint tins, plastic containers, crates and boxes.
• Soft furnishings, curtains, damaged children’s toys and general household bric-a-brac.
The amount of items per household should not exceed 1.5 cubic metres. Items for collection should be able to be safely lifted and placed on a truck by two people.
Items specifically EXCLUDED - these items will NOT be collected:
• Motor vehicle tyres
• Rotting or putrid material
• Rocks, bricks, concrete, soil
• Broken window or plate glass
• Tree branches or green waste
• Gas cylinders, hazardous waste, asbestos or toxic chemicals
• Liquid materials that may leak during disposal such as paint or engine oil
• Motor vehicle batteries, engine blocks or large heavy vehicle components
• Items exceeding 1.5 metres, 40kg, or items that cannot be easily lifted by 2 workers.
More information in relation to waste and recycling can be found on the Rethink Waste website or by downloading the following information sheets:
All you need to know about kerbside recycling (973KB)
A-Z guide to recycling and waste (125KB)
Kerbside do's and don'ts (412KB)
Kerbside recycling facts (322KB)