Food Businesses


Any person, group or business wishing to produce, sell or handle food or drinks to the public is required to be compliant with relevant legislation including the Food Act 2003. This includes not for profit organisations, sporting clubs, persons wanting to sell produce at markets as well as retail businesses and the like.


There are 3 main levels of compliance in relation to Food Businesses, these are:



Food Business Notification

This is required for those businesses handling or selling only shelf stable goods. This includes all ingredients. If you fall into this category, please complete the Food Business Notification Application and return it to Council.


Please note: Council's Environmental Health Department must be notified prior to any change to processes or products. A proposed change to include any Potentially Hazardous Foods (PHF) may require a Food Business Registration.



Food Business Registration

Food businesses who operate in permanently constructed premises that sell, handle or produce PHF are required to be registered with their local Council. This is an annual licence and needs to be renewed prior to 30 June each year.  To apply for a Food Business Registration, please complete the Annual Food Business Registration Application Form and return it to Council.


For some basic information in relation to starting up a new food business, please see the Starting up a Food Business information sheet.


Mobile Food Business Registration

If you intend to operate a mobile food business, you will need to notify your local Council before you commence operating. You may also need to apply for a registration is you intend to sell PHF.

There are two types of registration you are able to apply for, as follows:

a) Single Event - this can be applied for at the Council where the event is to be held.
b) Statewide Registration - this is for a period of up to 12 months and must be obtained from the Council in which the equipment is stored. This allows the food business to operate throughout the whole state without needing to register with each individual Council. However, please ensure you check with each Council prior to operating in their area to ensure no other permits are required. Please note: you are only able to apply for this registration if the structure is to be set up and operated in the same manner each time.

For more information on the state wide registration, please see the State Wide Registration Fact Sheet.


To apply for a Mobile food business registration, please complete the Mobile Food Business Application and return it to Council with the applicable fee.

Please see the Guidelines for Mobile Food Businesses 2015 for information relating to setting up and operating a Mobile Food Business. This document should be read prior to submitting an application for Mobile Food Business Registration.


NOTE: PHF means potentially hazardous food - food that has to be kept at certain temperatures to minimise the growth of any pathogenic micro-organisms that may be present in the food. This will prevent the formation of toxins.

Labelling Information for Fundraising Events

Please see the information sheet below for information regarding labelling food for sale at fundraising events. For specific information regarding labelling food for sale, please see the Food Standards code at:


Food Safety Training


FREE Online Food Safety Training


The West Tamar Council takes food safety very seriously. All food businesses have a legal responsibility to maintain certain levels of food safety skills and knowledge. West Tamar Council is assisting food businesses to meet these obligations by providing free access to this exciting new training tool. There is a high demand for training within the food sector. This training will assist food handlers in developing or revising the required skills and knowledge to ensure food is handled in a safe and hygienic manner. The program is easy to follow, includes an entertaining presentation as well as interactive quizzes. A training acknowledgement form can be printed upon completion and be kept as a part of your staff records. Just click on the link below to conduct the training now.       

Scroll Top