To view the collection times in your area please use the above RecycleCoach App or alternatively download and print the following calendar: Waste Collection Calendar 2019-2020 (224KB)
Council's contractor can only empty wheelie bins issued by West Tamar Council and identified with Council's logo. Each property has been issued with a 140L waste bin (green or red lid) and a 140L recycling bin (yellow lid). It should remain at the property on change of ownership. Each bin is marked with a unique identifying serial number, which is recorded by Council.
Placement of bins
When placing a wheelie bin out for collection, please make sure that:
- bins are placed on the kerbside the night before collection, or prior to 6 am
- the bin is placed in full view of the road
- the wheels are facing away from the road
- it is on level ground and at least 1 metre away from any other wheelie bin
- the wheelie bin is away from trees, power poles and any obstructions that would prevent the mechanical arm from being able to grab the bin (some residents may need to place bins further along the street or on the road pavement to stop vehicles obstructing them)
- the lid should be closed without items placed on top
Items which CAN be placed in the RECYCLING bin:
- Cardboard & Office Paper - Flatten boxes and place in bin (shredded paper should be disposed of in your red lidded rubbish or green lidded FOGO bin).
- Newspaper & Magazines - Place in bin loose.
- Glass Bottles & Jars - Rinse & remove all caps and lids. Plastic lids smaller than 8cm dia go into the rubbish bin and steel lids can go into the recycling bin separately. NO window glass, oven proof glass or ceramics are permitted in the recycling bin.
- PET Bottles - Clear & coloured plastic bottles - rinse, squash and remove all lids.
- HDPE - All milk & cream clear or opaque containers - rinse, squash and remove all lids (lids to go in general waste bin).
- PVC - Clear or opaque food containers - rinse, squash and remove all lids. PVC pipes cannot be recycled in your kerbside bin.
- LDPE - Plastics and containers for such as squeeze bottles – rinse and place in bin.
- PP - Plastics and containers such as plastic hinged lunch boxes - place in bin loose.
- Aluminium & Steel Cans - Food & drink cans including aerosol cans. All food cans to be rinsed - steel can lids can be placed inside can and crushed to prevent injury to yourself or the contractor. Aerosol cans can be recycled but please remove lids and place into rubbish bin. Aluminium cans shouldn't be crushed.
Please do not put any items in plastic bags into your kerbside recycling bin, leave them loose.
Items which CAN'T be placed in the RECYCLING bin:
- Meat trays and plastic bags.
- Milk & Juice Cartons - Flatten and place in bin.
- Chemical containers.
Items which CAN'T be placed in the GENERAL WASTE kerbside bin:
- hot ashes
- unwrapped vacuum cleaner dust
- paints and solvents
- timber and building materials
- recyclable materials
Council's will generally replace bins when a person has genuinely lost a bin or had it stolen or damaged. The property owner may be required to produce a declaration regarding the loss of the bin. The bins should only be used for garbage collection and the collection of recyclables and are not issued for use as general household storage containers. To order a replacement bin, please contact Council on 6323 9300.
Residents and businesses can upgrade the normally issued 140 litre wheelie bins to the larger 240 litre bins, (or if required receive an additional two or more pairs of bins), provided that the resident or business accepts the additional fees. Upgrading to a 240 litre recycling bin is allowed in combination with a smaller waste bin at no extra annual charge, providing the delivery fee is paid. Residents can also downsize to an 85 litre waste bin if the requirement for waste disposal is small. Please note that the bin delivery fee is for any changes or upgrades, however new residents or recently purchased properties receive a three month waiver, and if you are downsizing no delivery fee is charged.
For upgrades and changes, please contact our Beaconsfield Office on 03 6383 6350 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wheelie Bin fees and delivery charges are available in our Rates and Charges Brochure.
More information in relation to waste and recycling can be found on the Rethink Waste website or by downloading the following information sheets:
A-Z guide to recycling and waste
Kerbside do's and don'ts
Kerbside recycling facts
Rethink Waste Tri-Fold Kerbside Recycling Brochure